Tuesday 16 July 2013

Killing The Dragon


Legendary weapons are not something that have ever fallen into my possession. Neither have I ever really coveted them either. Legendaries have changed in scope over the years. The first time I became aware of their existence was during the Burning Crusade, [Warglaive of Azzinoth] was a unique design but was not something that I wanted due to being on two of my least favourite classes - Warrior and Rogue.

There was one item that I would have loved to own was, [Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury] the big attraction for this bow apart from it being Orange, was the following bonus:

"Equip: Thori'dal generates magical arrows when the bow string is drawn. Does not use ammo"

Wow, a ranged weapon that does not use ammo. Ammo was a pain in the bag space, and it was not until Cataclysm that the concept was removed. TBC was the last time that Hunters had the honour of Legendary bestowed on them.

Legendaries have the impact of making a class over powered for the duration of the patch in which they drop, with the exception of [Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest] which gave a weapon available to all Spellcasters that was just too awesome and in really unbalanced the game for those who did not have it.

The last Lengendary items was a pair of daggers [Fangs of the Father] which came with it's own questline. In many ways without the Fangs of the Father the Rogue class might have disappeared into obscurity, the numbers playing Rogues was around 6-7% at a time when there was only 10 classes. Most of the Rogues are only found in PvP anyway due to being the kings of the Battleground.

Due to the problems of Dragonwrath and the issue of boosting some classes and others being left in the dark (Hunters), Blizzard implemented a change in design, Legendaries for everyone, and everybody cheered and there was much rejoicing. What we didn't know at the time was how much a pain in the butt a Legendary questline would be.

Oddly enough I have seen very little about the Wrathion questline, with the possible exception of Tree Heals Go Whoosh. There are of course guides on the complete quest chain as we know it, and Icy Veins again comes up trumps.

In summary the major activities in the questline are:

  1. Collect 10 Sigils of Power and Wisdom from the first 3 raids
  2. Obtain Honored with the Black Prince faction by killing Mogu, Mantid and the opposite faction.
  3. Loot the Chimera of Fear from the last boss in Terrace of Endless Springs
  4. Obtain Revered with the Black Prince faction
  5. Gather 3000 Valor after accepting the quest
  6. Defeat a powerful NPC of the opposing Faction
  7. Collect 20 Secrets of the Empire from bosses in the Throne of Thunder raid
  8. Turn in 40 Trillium bars, Obtain Exalted with the Black Prince faction
  9. The Thunder Forge quest is a single player scenario, which requires the completion of To The Skies
  10. After completing The Fall of Shan Bu, you are offered Spirit of the Storm Lord
  11. Collect 12 Titan Runestones which drop from the last 6 bosses of Throne of Thunder
  12. Kill Lei Shen and collect the Heart of the Thunder King
  13. Collect 4 blessing and defeat an NPC applicable to your role
So far the storyline has been expanded by each patch which as resulted in people like me doing everything in the wrong order, like obtaining Exalted status with the Black Prince faction before collecting all my Sigils due to the poor drop rate and being over geared for the content. I have completed become exalted with Operation:Shieldwall and the Kirin Tor Assault, so have completed all the necessary scenarios.

With Patch 5.3 Blizzard made Sigils drop from every boss in the first 3 Raids so that I have quickly caught up with several sections, and now need to collect 3000 Valor, but now in summary form I have got months left to do in Throne of Thunder at a time when everybody will be moving on to the Siege of Ogrimmar. The cloaks however do look nice, not that I am tempted at all by the iLevel 600.

6 comments:

  1. Be tempted by that 600 item level. It is a huge increase and well worth the effort.

    I just do not have the heart or the desire to do it on my alts because it would require me to do the LFR and I kind of dislike that just a bit.

    I wish there was a catch up mechanic added next patch where we could skip grinding the LFRs until our eyes bleed hoping for drops that never drop even with the increased drop rates.

    If it were not for that I would have the cape on at least 6 or 7 characters by now.

    But for a main, do it, do not even think about it. It is worth it.

    I just feel for you, and others, that have to do the ToT LFRs when no one is really doing them any more. They can be near impossible as it is now with some groups.

    If anything, doing it later, you have earned this legendary. And by earn I mean really really earned. More than anyone has ever earned anything in the game before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the feeling I will only complete the Wrathion quest in 10 mans when the guild start doing achievement runs in Throne of Thunder half way through the next patch.

      I have still not seen the last 6 bosses in Throne of Thunder, but I do seem to have got some better groups recently and without requiring all night queueing.

      Delete
  2. It's the drop RNG in LFR that I find most frustrating.

    I had all the Wisdom sigils for weeks but lacked the Powers, and finally ended up with something like 17 Wisdom and 10 Powers.
    Then the most Secrets I got in a week was 3, when a friend of mine got 6 (grr!), and the 20th Secret took me 3 wings of ToT to get.
    Now I'm grinding the Runestones. I'm really glad I don't have to do the first 2 wings any more, but it's probably going to be a few weeks yet before I can finally say goodbye to Throne of Thunder for good!

    Legendary, yes; legendary perseverance required!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that you could go past 10 on the Sigils. I have two characters going through the process and both got loaded with one type.

      On my Hunter I went from 10\4 Power\wisdom to 10\10, maybe they fixed it or I just got very lucky.

      Delete
  3. I gave up on this quest chain long ago. IMO, it's one of the most disappointing and aggravating things they did in this expansion. The expansion would have been more enjoyable if it had been omitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate what you are saying, and you can tell by my progress that I have not actively pursued the quest line.

      This however is the first time I could feasibly attain a Legendary whilst it is current content.

      The questline forces people to do all the content available, which Blizzard are telling us is optional. It is just another tool to keep people doing the same content ad nauseum.

      The only problem is that rewards are so nice, and the cloak is huge improvement.

      Delete